Where to find a Justice of the Peace?
Justices of the Peace (or JP) are volunteers who are appointed for a five year term. In NSW, Justices of the Peace perform a number of important functions, including:
- witnessing the signing of statutory declarations
- witnessing the signing of an affidavit
- certifying documents
- certifying a person's identity
When using a JP service it is important to remember:
- JPs are volunteers whose availability is dependent upon their other commitments.
- If you need the services of a JP, appointments are essential.
- It is illegal for a JP to charge a fee or accept a gift in exchange for providing JP services.
- When certifying a document a JP must have both an original and a copy of the document in front of them, so please insure you provide both.
- JP cannot and do not provide legal advice.
- Only people that are named in the documents that need be certified can seek certification from a JP.
Eastgardens Library - No JP at Eastgardens presently as library is closed for refurbishment.
Mascot Library has a weekly JP service on Thursdays between 10am-12pm, an additional JP session weekly on Thursdays between 2-5pm.
NSW Justice also has a portal where you can search for a JP by postcode.