Consent Authorities

A consent authority is the person or body that has the authority to determine the outcome of a Development Application. 

In the City of Botany Bay, the Council is the consent authority except as required by the Environmental Planning and Assessment Act 1979 or State Planning Policies. The other consent authorities are:

Joint Regional Planning Panels

Some Applications are referred to the Joint Regional Development Panels for determination. These types of applications are for designated development, development that has capital investment value of more than $10 million, subdivision of over 250 lots, capital investment of more than $5 million which is for either public or private infrastructure, crown development, ecotourism development and where Council is the proponent or has a conflict of interest.

If your application is considered by the Joint Regional Planning Panel, you will be advised by the Panel Secretariat, within seven (7) days as to when the application will be presented to the Panel.

Minister for Planning

The NSW Planning Minister is the consent authority for State Significant Development and Major Development, as prescribed in the State Environmental Planning Policy (State and Regional Development) 2011, the State Environmental Planning Policy (Major Development) 2005 and State Environmental Planning Policy (Three Ports) 2013.