Council's Role in an Emergency
IN THE CASE OF A LIFE THREATENING EMERGENCY CALL 000
An emergency is an event or situation that poses an immediate risk to health, life, property and/or the environment. Councils play an important role in emergency management, both in partnership with other organisations and through its own legislated emergency management obligations.
The City of Botany Bay has a long-established role providing support to response agencies as well as coordinating relief and recovery support for the community. Council:
- implements protective safety strategies
- acts during emergencies to reduce personal injury and loss of life, property and the environment, and
- assists people to recover and continue with their lives.
Council supports emergency prevention and the reducing the impact of emergency situations by undertaking:
- fire prevention,
- land use planning,
- stormwater management,
- public health and disease control,
- community capacity building