Library Collections & Services
Our library collections of books, magazines, audio-visual materials (CDs & DVDs) have been developed to meet the needs of local residents.
Eastgardens Library is currently closed for refurbishment and due to open on Saturday October 21 at 9am.
Mascot Library is open:
Monday – Friday: 10am-6pm
2 Hatfield Street, Mascot
If an item is not held in our collection, you can put in a suggestion for purchase or request the item on an inter-library loan (fees may apply for this service).
Items can be reserved and suggestions are welcome.
The Reference collection includes encyclopedias, books, yearbooks, periodicals, pamphlets, and other resources to answer most general enquiries. These resources are complemented by information available from the Internet. Special collections include:
- LIAC collection (legal resources),
- Drug Information
- HSC resources
- Local studies resources include books, periodicals, oral history recordings, images, maps, pamphlets, government reports and Council archives
- Nancy Hillier Archive contains information about local environmental issues
- Community language collection includes books for adults in Arabic, Bengali, Chinese, Croatian, Greek, Indonesian, Italian, Spanish, Turkish and Vietnamese at Eastgardens library. Some children's books are available. Books in other languages can be requested on inter library loan (fees may apply for this service)
- Large print and talking books are available for adults who prefer these formats
- Newspapers are available at each Library. Chinese, Arabic and Greek newspapers are available at the Central library.
Library members can borrow up to 100 items on their card.
There are no limits on the number of items you can borrow for each individual format (i.e. books, DVDs, CDs, etc).
The loan period is 3 weeks for all materials. After-hours book return facilities are available at Eastgardens and Mascot libraries. You can reserve an item that is already on loan to another member.
Renewals are available for all items and are conditional upon no other library member requesting the item.
- A limit of two renewals per item
- Renewals can be made over the phone or via My Account.
- Overdue items cannot be renewed
Fines are charged for overdue items.
Home Library Service
We offer a free Home Library Service to cater for the needs of residents who are unable to visit the Library in person.
Our libraries maintain:
- Reference collections
- Student study collections
- Online database services – accessed either in the library or through a personal computer with an internet connection.
Computer and internet access
Computers are available at the library for word processing and Internet access. Bookings are essential and there is a limit of one hour per person per day. You must be a member to use these computers. Bookings can be made in person or by phone.
Library members can book computers with internet access in Eastgardens and Mascot Libraries for 90 minutes per day. Guest computer bookings are 60 minutes in duration. Bookings are required.
The use of our Internet facilities is free. You must not use our internet computers for illegal, actionable or criminal purposes. You must not access explicit content or content that degrades a specific gender, ethnic or racial group.
Children and youth services
Our libraries have a comprehensive children and youth collection. This includes easy reading picture books, school resources and Multicultural language children and youth books.
Also available are storytime sessions, and holiday activities.